CCTV can play a major role in protecting business premises by providing detection that can allow your site to be watched over 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Security cameras also provide the opportunity to record criminal activity for evidential purposes.
The effectiveness of security cameras has improved over the years with advancing technology bringing with it an increased demand for Detector Activated Remotely Monitored camera systems. These CCTV systems work particularly well for large or exposed sites and provide an alternative to the out-of-hours continuous live monitoring of images.
When set, the remotely monitored CCTV system will activate in response to a detected intrusion and send an alert signal to a Remote Video Response Centre (RVRC), where an operator will then evaluate the situation and respond accordingly.
If security camera systems are compliant with BS 8418, RVRC personnel will confirm the activation is genuine and alert the police, subject to a system meeting their requirements. Where premises need to be secured or high value items protected around-the-clock, remotely monitored CCTV can be an effective and economical solution for detecting and then identifying potential intrusion within a secure area.
You may wish to ask the crime reduction officer at your local Police station for advice before you buy-in a system. If you want your security to be effective and meet the requirements set out by police and your insurer, it’s important to have CCTV systems installed and maintained in accordance with the required standards by a professional company such as those approved by NSI.
Here are some key questions to ask the company you are considering to install your system. Are they:
- thoroughly security vetted?
- rigorously inspected twice a year to ensure they are maintaining standards in both the quality of security camera installation and how they are run as a business?
- properly insured?
- operating a 24 hour call out service (and do they respond within 4 hours)?
- able to complete a thorough security survey your property?
- installing reliable, up to date CCTV equipment?
- going to issue you with a Certificate of Compliance for your system?
- meeting the relevant British and European Standards?
- operating to the highest level of business excellence through achievement of the industry specific ISO 9001 Quality Management System (NACOSS Gold only)
NSI approved companies can answer 'yes' to all these questions. NSI provides the toughest inspection services to ensure that all its approved companies continuously meet the highest standards.